This 6-hour online course was recorded in Seattle & features Clinical Nurse Specialist Nicole Kupchik & Respiratory Therapist Karen LaRoche’. Both speakers have extensive Critical Care experience with a knack for breaking down complex topics into a digestible form.
The course starts with a review of arterial blood gas (ABG) interpretation as well as uses of Capnography. The basic fundamentals of mechanical ventilation with a build up to managing complex ARDS patients will be discussed.
- ABG Interpretation & Capnography – 1:15:36 mins
- Ventilation 101 – 1:17:06 mins
- COPD Treatment Strategies – 1:05:37 mins
- ARDS Management: A Case Based Approach – 58:33 mins
- ARDS Management: Rescue Strategies – 1:25:03 mins
ABG Interpretation & Capnography
- Review normal and abnormal arterial blood gas values
- Discuss common acid/base imbalances and treatments
- Analyze case examples with treatment strategies
- Discuss the integration of Capnography into care
- Review basic pulmonary mechanics
- Compare pressure vs. volume ventilation and classic modes in each category
- Discuss ventilator measurements and how to apply them to patient care
- Recognize the relationship of ventilation and perfusion
- Identify the role PEEP plays in mechanical ventilation
COPD Treatment Strategies
- Discuss current treatment strategies for COPD
- Discuss rescue strategies for the decompensating COPD patient
- Define ARDS using the Berlin Definition
- Explore lung protective ventilation strategies through a case-based discussion
- Identify refractory hypoxemia and evidence-based rescue strategies
Nicole Kupchik MN, RN, CCNS, CCRN-K, PCCN-K
Nicole Kupchik has been a critical care nurse for over 25 years. Originally from Northwest Indiana, she worked as a traveling nurse and settled in Seattle, WA in 1998. She graduated from Purdue University in 1993 and in 2008 obtained a Master of Nursing as a Clinical Nurse Specialist from the University of Washington.
After moving to Seattle, Nicole took great interest in Resuscitation while working at Harborview Medical Center. She was part of a team who wrote one of the first protocols in the US for Therapeutic Hypothermia after cardiac arrest and has published numerous papers on the topic. In 2009, she led a team that launched an award-winning Sepsis Alert System.
In 2013, Nicole founded Nicole Kupchik Consulting, Inc. She has taught CCRN & PCCN Certification Review courses for over 10 years and has helped thousands of nurses achieve certification! She strongly believes every nurse can and should be board certified in their specialty!
Karen LaRoche’ RRT-AACS
Karen has been a registered Respiratory Therapist practicing in Care for over 20 years. She graduated in 1993 and received the Adult Acute Care Specialty credential in 2013. Currently, she works as a Clinical Specialist at Harborview Medical Center Seattle, Washington.
Since 2011 Karen has been involved with mechanical ventilation education for a variety of groups including Respiratory Therapists, Critical Care Nurses, respiratory and nursing students, Airlift Northwest, Medic One, and Resident Physicians.
Nicole Kupchik Consulting, Inc. is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider #16363. This program is approved for 6.0 contract hours.
Course Refund Policy:
Once the purchase for the course is made and accessed online, there are no refunds available.